Monday, July 4, 2016

Rumors of strange rituals
Had piqued our curiosity
And it was early in June
When Karen and I decided to visit the island
Out of a shared curiosity
For primitive things
And vacationing
In warm places

Suitcases in the foyer
And cab called
I stood in the doorway the day we were leaving
And watched her spray her hair
Narrowing her eyes with her head tilted
Jogging the bottle side to side
As she watched herself in the mirror
And started in on her face

Lipstick
Then mascara
Over a tasteful slash of eye shadow
And I stood wondering
Why is Karen getting made up
To visit an island
Full of savages
Who worship the sun
And eat nothing but insects
And rigid island-yams
Cooked over open fires, no doubt
And as we got closer
I became doubtful and pessimistic
Karen noticed and grew sullen herself
Resentful of my withdrawal
But the sand was hot when we hit the shore

And it immediately filled my shoes with hot grit
But Karen slipped gracefully
All but tossing her things on the beach
As her dress billowed perfectly
In the warm wind
That peeled the surf away
Like ripe pear skin
The already distant ferry
Trailing smoke like blackened cotton